Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Chow for the Caletti Cross Crew



I love riding bicycles, admittedly I'm very not fast.  My goal this year was to not use my health or my bikes as excuses for why I'm the last one up the hill. That lasted till about August.

When Jerimiah Kille told me he designed a t-shirt for the new Caletti Cyclocross team, naturally I had to get one. After all I am a proud owner of a Caletti  bicycle. John Caletti hand builds each frame right here in Santa Cruz. Some how I was sold the bate and switch. I went from buying a t-shirt to committing to race 5 races with Team Caletti. I tried to tell people I'm racing my way in to shape. To mask my top of bottom 3 finishes I have developed a diversion tactic. I am proud to serve the crew the best track side cuisine at anywhere.

American cyclocross races are always a homage to its roots in Belgium. The smell of Grilling sausage and drinking beer is a common sight. Not quite the best race foods, but they do add to the party atmosphere.
My goal is to provide fresh clean vegetarian food that aids recovery. The last race I borrowed a recipe from a great cookbook by Dr. Allen Lim and Chef Biju Thomas called the Feed Zone Cookbook. If have not tried Skratch Labs exercise hydration mix it's great stuff. According to Dr Lim eating within 30 minutes of exercise is vital to speeding up the recovery process.


Recovery Grilled Cheese


  • I fire roasted red bell peppers and Italian zucchini on the spot with my portable yakitori grill

When you roast peppers and the skin is nice and black place them in a paper sack and allow the pepper to steam.  When it cools a bit you can easily peel the skin off.

  • A nice ciabatta roll was sliced and the inside toasted 
  • I chose 3 nice melting cheeses; Cheddar, Provolone, and Queso Fresco. Nothing to overpower the veggies.   
  • After laying down the cheese I added the red peppers, sliced zucchini and the arugula 
  • This was was lightly dressed with a fresh orange champagne vinegar. 
  •  I'm assuming most people know have made a grilled cheese before.   I grilled these in olive oil in a stainless pan over medium heat.  A lid is helpful to speed up the melting process.
When cooking out doors clean hands still apply.


If you would like to support the team Caletti,  visit the website  or come see us in San Francisco on Nov. 10th and 25th

https://www.facebook.com/teamcaletti

The great "donut handup" engineered by me and captured by photographer Paul Doran
011010SurfCityCXAptosHS-773

No comments:

Post a Comment